4 times more likely to be attacked violently in his country ..."yeah but we live" as TFoot said,,,Yes, you live to be beaten up, punched, attacked violently,, tomorrow, the next day, the next day, the next day, ....DO THE DAMN MATH IDIOTS !!!!!
So, DPR distrusts the gov in England as far as violent crime stats are recorded as far as elections are concerned, but totally believes the stats on violent crime stats when it fits his view on gun control in america???? WTF?????????
TFoot, DPR, ty for showing your respective ignorances. Apparently neither of you are aware that when the government of Australia demanded that guns were confiscated, the violent crime rate rose 40% within 2 years. The same happened in England at the rate of 32% increase in violent crime when the current gun control laws were enacted. Do the damn math idiots !!!!!
To the point of protecting your property. Build actual stone houses and secure the house use cameras and alert systems (they aren't that expensive anymore!). That way a burglar can't enter your house or aparment on a whim by simply trying to smash in windows etc. Second: education is a valid point those who have job skills don't need to go about stealing. And lastly if you can't buy frickin guns and bullets in the supermarket - which to me is outragous - for prices that are laughable, the thiefs and gangs will have a much harder time getting weapons or earn money by selling them to mexicans. Will they still have weapons after a ban? yeah that's likely. But running around with guns is a sure thing then to identify you as a potential criminal or gang member.
It's a little like the parable from WW1. Soldiers got lots of deadly headshots. So steel helmet where intruduced. Next thing that happend was the rate of headwounds was 7 times higher than before. The difference was though that most of the headwounded soldier would have died without the helmet.
Would assaults rate get higher with tighter gun laws? Most probably, but more people would survive than before. Because what before was a murder is now an assault. It's easy to squeeze triggers but it is much harder stab or beat someone to death.
Now in my country gun laws are very, very strict. And I can leave my car unlocked and the house which is the last of the village is safe even with an unlocked door. Mind you the overall population density is 350 per km2 compared to 31 per km2 in the US. And it's one of the main transit countries from North to South and East to West (and vice versa) in Europe.
Yet, there is no need to be on constant alert or defense because a) almost nobody carries a gun b) burglars in general don't need and use guns c) having a dog is the most protection you need.
No one I personally know of in my country was EVER shot. No one of my friends and aquintances was robbed at gun point, that's a job for skilled pickpockets who are annoying but they commit a non violent crime..
1. No one EVER said making a bomb or beating someone to death was just as easy as pulling a trigger... we said MULTIPLE times that we want more restrictions on guns... but, one of the brits may have re-worded our position in that way to create a strawman - which works on people who are half-assed listening. How about you go back and actually LISTEN TO WHAT WE SAID - to understand our position, and then come back with your sarcastic instults. At least you'll know what you're talking about then.
@Jen - Welcome to the list of people who criticize something they don't understand. - Here's the key that you're missing: Skype has a cute little feature which mutes the other side when you're talking. That means, when Thunderf00t was speaking, he couldn't hear me. So if I just kept talking to try to cut him off - it would have been even worse - yelling over one another and chaos. - I kept the conversation going, and I did the best I could with the technology that they were calling in from in England. I'm sure your show is much better, since you're a professional at hosting and coordinating international conversations via Skype.
I am very disappointed in you Smalley. You let thundfoot completely control and take over the show. He continually spoke over the top of everyone else and refused to let anyone else get a word in edgewise. I wish you would have stepped in and kept better control so others could have made their points. You also could of kept control of where the conversation went and kept everyone on target instead of going off on tangents. This could have been a great conversation, instead it was nothing more than a platform for a talking bully. Thanks for doing the show though, I usually really like it.
Not sure why Smalley and Aronra wanted to have this debate, they have no intentions of discussing whether or not Americans should have the right to own guns. America can keep their guns, keep their gun culture, but then they have to keep their >40 times more gun deaths than any other civilized nation. (and unfortunately the odd school shooting)
1. Saying that making a bomb is just as easy as pulling a trigger is amazingly stupid.
2. Saying that killing with a knife/bat/whatever is easy as it is to pull a trigger is, again, amazingly stupid.
3. Guns are the easiest, cheapest way to mass murder. It's just a fact pill--now swallow it.
4. You all believe in weapon restrictions of some kind. Don't be lie about it like a smelly coward.
5. If you don't believe in weapon restrictions of any kind--you're an unbearable kook.
6. Aron Ra should stick to debating religion. He's emotionally compromised when it comes to guns. It's like this: My doctor is VERY smart and I trust her a lot. However, I wouldn't take my car to her if it needed fixed. Stick to religion, Aron, 'cause you sound like a dumb, flag-waving hayseed at times when you talk about gun control.
7. Gun-nuts sound exactly like obtuse Libertarian Randroids. We don't live in a cheap pulp fiction novel, folks.